20 Best Chanakya Quotes On Wife
Last Updated on January 30, 2023
As you may know, Chanakya was an ancient Indian philosopher and royal advisor, who lived around the 4th century BCE.
He is widely considered one of the greatest political thinkers in Indian history. In his famous work, the “Arthashastra,” Chanakya writes about many topics, including the role of women in society.
In this article, we’ll be exploring some of Chanakya’s most memorable quotes about wives and what they can teach us today.
I am confident that by the end of this article, you will have a deeper appreciation for Chanakya’s wisdom.
Best Chanakya Quotes On Wife From Chanakya Niti
1. “A good wife is one who serves her husband in the morning like a mother does, loves him in the day like a sister does and pleases him like a prostitute in the night.” – Chanakya
2. “Test a servant while in the discharge of his duty, a relative in difficulty, a friend in adversity, and a wife in misfortune.” – Chanakya
3. “She is a true wife who is clean (suci), expert, chaste, pleasing to the husband, and truthful.” – Chanakya
4. “Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth, comes of Her own accord where fools are not respected, grain is well stored up, and the husband and wife do not quarrel.”– Chanakya
5. “The testing time of the following are; the wife when the money is gone, the friend in the time of need, the relatives in the times of crisis and the servants when they are assigned a mission. In such times they show their true faces.” – Chanakya
6. “Wealth, a friend, a wife, and a kingdom may be regained, but this body when lost may never be acquired again.” – Chanakya“Wealth, a friend, a wife, and a kingdom may be regained, but this body when lost may never be acquired again.” Click To Tweet
7. “Union in privacy (with one’s wife); boldness; storing away useful items; watchfulness; and not easily trusting others; these five things are to be learned from a crow.” – Chanakya
8. “A wicked wife, a false friend, a saucy servant and living in a house with a serpent in it are nothing but death.” – Chanakya
9. “That man who is without religion and mercy should be rejected. A guru without spiritual knowledge should be rejected. The wife with an offensive face should be given up, and so should relatives who are without affection.” – Chanakya
Loving these Chanakya quotes on wife? Do not forget to read these Chanakya quotes too:
10. “A father who is a chronic debtor, an adulterous mother, a beautiful wife, and an unlearned son are enemies in one’s own home.” – Chanakya
11. “He who loses his money is forsaken by his friends, his wife, his servants and his relations; yet when he regains his riches those who have forsaken him come back to him. Hence wealth is certainly the best of relations.” – Chanakya
12. “When one is consumed by the sorrows of life, three things give him relief: offspring, a wife, and the company of the Lord’s devotees.” – Chanakya
13. “Learning is a friend on the journey; a wife in the house; medicine in sickness; and religious merit is the only friend after death.” – Chanakya On Wife
14. “He whose son is obedient to him, whose wife’s conduct is in accordance with his wishes, and who is content with his riches, has his heaven here on earth.” – Chanakya
15. “A wise man should not divulge the formula of a medicine which he has well prepared; an act of charity which he has performed; domestic conflicts; private affairs with his wife; poorly prepared food he may have been offered; or slang he may have heard.”– Chanakya
16. “Do not pass between two brahmanas, between a brahmana and his sacrificial fire, between a wife and her husband, a master and his servant, and a plough and an ox.” – Chanakya
17. “He who look at a woman who is not his wife as a mother; wealth that is not his as dust and all the men as himself… is a happy man. He, who sees all these things under a different light, is a blind.” – Chanakya
18. “The wickedness of a woman who is well-versed in the arts and in the knowledge of the scriptures is better than the virtue of a woman who is ignorant.” – Chanakya On Wife
19. “There should be a dignity in the relationship of husband and wife” – Chanakya
20. “A woman should be three things: loyal as a wife, efficient as a housekeeper, and dignified as a hostess” – Chanakya
What Do Chanakya’s Quotes on Wives Say About the Role of Women in Ancient Indian Society?
Chanakya’s quotes show that women were expected to be loyal, good at their jobs at home, and respectful when they hosted. They also stress how important it is for women to get an education and have self-respect.
Are Chanakya’s Quotes Relevant to Modern-Day Relationships?
Chanakya’s statements are ancient, but his values, including loyalty and respect, are ageless. Chanakya’s wife statements may shed light on relationships and social norms. However, the current social, cultural, and technological environment is very different.