Last Updated on January 6, 2023
Osho, also known as Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, was a spiritual leader and founder of the Rajneesh movement.
He was a controversial figure, known for his unconventional and rebellious teachings on topics ranging from meditation and mindfulness to sexuality and relationships.
One of the key elements of Osho’s philosophy was the importance of celebration and self-expression, which he believed could be achieved through various forms of artistic expression, including dance.
Osho believed that dance was a way for individuals to connect with their inner selves and experience a sense of freedom and joy. In his teachings, he emphasized the idea that the body is a temple and should be celebrated and revered. He encouraged his followers to let go of their inhibitions and embrace the present moment through the expressive and liberating act of dancing.
Through his writings and teachings, Osho left a wealth of insights and wisdom on the power of dance to transform and transcend.
Here are a few of his most memorable quotes on the dance.
Osho Quotes on Dance
1. “The universe is dancing along, the universe is singing a song, the universe is dancing on a day like this…and its high time to dance, its high time to dance, its high time to dance so Wake Up and Dance!” – Osho on Dance
2. “If you start listening to the body,
listening to nature,
listening to your inner being,
you will be more and more happy.
Become a good listener to nature.” – Osho on Dance
3. “Your trust in the total opens all your sensitivities to their extreme. This whole existence becomes a sheer dance, a sheer celebration.” – Osho on Dance
5. “Dancing is not just a movement. When a movement becomes ecstatic then it is dance. When the movement is so total that there is no ego, then it is a dance.” – Osho on Dance
6. “To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.” – Osho on Dance
7. “Life is a dance… the dance goes on with us and without us. The dance is. It always is – stones dance as surely as stars. A rock is a slow dance; a flower is a little faster… The choice is ours: to dance with the quick, or to join the procession of the dead. The way of the dead brings security, comfort, fame, so that there can be no good reason to join the dance. To give a motive to this way of life, which is the way of love, is to belittle it. The whole point is its pointlessness. One dances for no reason, as the rose opens in the morning and is for no reason red. There is no virtue in it. The dance of life is God’s dance. You can participate in it or you can withhold yourself. There is every reason to withhold – the society is afraid of all those people who start dancing with God, because they become dangerous, they become rebellious, they become free. They are no more slaves, they throw their chains, they get out of all prisons. They dance in the streets, they dance under the stars, they participate in God’s dance. They are not afraid of death, so they cannot be reduced to slaves.” – Osho on Dance
8. “When you dance, you become a whirlwind and by and by, you are completely lost in your dancing, it happens – something breaks down inside you, the barriers are lost – you become one unity. A great orgasm spreads all over your being. You are in tune with existence in those moments.” – Osho on Dance
9. “The dance need not wait for tomorrow–tomorrow never comes–the dance has to be now, here, this very moment!” – Osho on Dance
10. “To me, the great raas happening in infinite space, with millions of stars like the sun and moon dancing rhythmically, is not an ordinary dance. It is not meant for entertainment; it is not show business. In a sense it should be described as overflowing bliss. There is such an abundance of bliss in the heart of existence that it is flowing, overflowing. That is what we call the river of existence. The presence of the polar opposites in the universe facilitates its flow.” – Osho on Dance
11. “Man alone cannot flow; he needs the presence of woman. Without the woman man is inhibited and closed. In the same way, without man the woman is inhibited and closed. Their togetherness causes their energies to spring into the form of love. What we know as love between man and woman is nothing but the flowing of yin and yang together. And this love, if it is not personalized, can have great spiritual significance.” – Osho on Dance
12. “The attraction of man and woman for each other is what brings them together so that their latent energies flow into the stream of love and life. That is why a man feels relaxed with a woman and a woman feels at ease with a man. Separated and alone they feel tense and anxious; coming together they feel as light as feathers, weightless. Why? Because something in them, some subtle energy has become alive and moving, and as a result they feel at home and happy. Unfortunately we have been trying to put man and woman in a cage, the cage of marriage. But as soon as we bind them with marriage and its institution, their energy ceases to flow, it stagnates. Life’s play has nothing to do with institutions; it cannot be institutionalized. Krishna’s raas does not have an order, a system; it is utterly free and spontaneous. You can say it is chaotic. It is chaos itself.” – Osho on Dance
13. “There is a significant saying of Nietzsche’s. He says, “It is out of chaos that stars are born.” Where there is no system, no order, only the interplay of energies remains. In this interplay of energies, which is raas, Krishna and his milkmaids cease to be individuals, they move as pure energies. And this dance of male and female energies together brings deep contentment and bliss; it turns into an outpouring of joy and bliss. Rising from Krishna’s raas this bliss expands and permeates every fiber of the universe. Although Krishna and his girlfriends are no more with us as people, the moon and the stars under which they danced together are still with us, and so are the trees and the hills and the earth and the skies that were once so drunk with the bliss of the raas. So, although millennia have passed, the vibes of the maharaas are still with us.” – Osho on Dance
15. “In India we have conceived of God as the dancer, Nataraj. That’s very significant, because when a painter paints, immediately he becomes separate from the painting. If the painting remains in his being, he is one with it. When it is yet hidden, just a seed, just a thought, a dream, then the painter is one with his painting. The moment he has painted it, poured it on the canvas, he has become separate from it. Duality has arisen. So is it the case with the poet, so is it the case with the musician.” – Osho on Dance
16. “Anywhere everywhere! Anything anyhow! just dance !” – Osho on Dance
17. “Your ecstasy is a movement towards the height and your meditation is a movement towards the depth. And once you have both, your life becomes a celebration.”
18. “Every man now is responsible to create a buddhafield around himself, an energy field that goes on becoming bigger and bigger. Create as many vibrations of laughter, joy, celebration, as possible; dance, sing, let the whole of humanity by and by catch the fire of Zen and the wind of Zen.” – Osho on Dance
19. “Just your laughter will be enough to prevent the war. Your celebration, your dance, will be enough to prevent the war. Your ecstasy, your meditation, will create a tremendous force which will be far higher because it is life-affirmative.” – Osho on Dance
21. “I don’t think existence wants you to be serious. I have not seen a serious tree. I have not seen a serious bird. I have not seen a serious sunrise. I have not seen a serious starry night. It seems they are all laughing in their own ways, dancing in their own ways. We may not understand it, but there is a subtle feeling that the whole existence is a celebration.” – Osho on Dance
22. “Meditate so that you can feel immense silence, and love so that your life can become a song, a dance, a celebration.” – Osho on Dance
23. “My meditation is simple. It does not require any complex practices. It is simple. It is singing. It is dancing. It is sitting silently.” – Osho on Dance“My meditation is simple. It does not require any complex practices. It is simple. It is singing. It is dancing. It is sitting silently.” Click To Tweet
24. “Dance so deeply that you completely forget that you are dancing. The dancer must go, until only the dance remains.” – Osho on Dance
25. “Life is not logic, life is not philosophy. Life is a dance, a song, a celebration! It is more like love and less like logic.” – Osho on Dance
26. “Love is the soul of dance dance, the body of love.” – Osho on Dance
27. “Let your aloneness become a dance.” – Osho on Dance
28. “Life is a verb. Life is not a noun, it is really “living” not “life.” It is not love, it is loving. It is not relationship, it is relating. It is not a song, it is singing. It is not a dance, it is dancing. See the difference, savor the difference.” – Osho on Dance
29. “And that is the essence of wisdom — to be in harmony with nature, with the natural rhythm of the universe. And whenever we are in harmony with the natural rhythm of the universe, you are a poet, you are a painter, you are a musician, you are a dancer.” – Osho on Dance“And that is the essence of wisdom — to be in harmony with nature, with the natural rhythm of the universe. And whenever we are in harmony with the natural rhythm of the universe, you are a poet, you are a painter, you are a musician, you are a… Click To Tweet
30. “Forget the dancer, the center of the ego; become the dance. That is meditation.” – Osho on Dance
Osho’s teachings on dance highlight the importance of celebrating and expressing oneself through movement.
His belief that the body is a temple and should be revered and celebrated encourages us to embrace our unique selves and let go of our inhibitions.
For more inspiring quotes from Osho and other wise sages, be sure to visit our website. We have a collection of thought-provoking and uplifting quotes on a variety of topics that are sure to nourish your soul and expand your mind.
So, keep exploring and find your own way to celebrate and express yourself.
Check These Quotes: