Last Updated on December 3, 2022
Read the awesome and powerful collection of Rumi quotes that will melt your heart.
Rumi, a name that you might have heard of or must have searched on Google to read his beautiful poetry or quotes.
Some instances change us, they transform us into someone which we never imagined. The Rumi quotes which I have shared, might transform you or motivate you in order to become a better version of yourself. Enjoy!
Who Is Rumi and What Was His Philosophy?
The name Rumi was given to him by the west because for his lifetime he was known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Mohammad Balkhī Mowlānā. The term Mowlana means ‘a master‘. And for sure, he was a master of his work.
He was a mystic, an Islamic scholar and a theologian. It is interesting to find out that he was just an average person until he met Shams-e Tabrizi and this encounter completely changed his life.
They both secluded themselves for 3 months and what happened in those three months is still a mystery. It is because of Shams that Rumi transformed into a spiritual masters and a mystical poet. He became spiritual, washed his ego, and transformed himself from a scholar to a mystic.
From that time, whatever he perceived in life, he saw it as a manifestation of God and looked beyond.
Rumi’s lyrical works and the pedagogical epic Masnavi-e Ma’navi (“Divine Couplets”) have had a profound impact on Muslim mystical philosophy and literature. His disciples formalised into the Mowlawiyeh order after his passing.
Jalāl ad-Dīn Mohammad Balkhī Mowlānā or Rumi was a Sunni Muslim, though not a particularly devout one. The great regard he had for Shi’ite saints like Imam Ali is shown in his poetry, which is consistent with his ideology, which advocated for unbounded tolerance and peace.
Muslims, Jews, and Christians were all equal in Rumi’s eyes, and his teachings of religious tolerance have attracted followers from across the religious spectrum.
Rumi had a deep and abiding faith that one may approach God through the mediums of music, poetry, and dance. This philosophy eventually gave rise to the ritual form known as whirling dervishes.
Now as we have discusssed a lot about who Rumi was and what was his philosophy, let’s now begin with some of his great quotes on philosophy, love, life, soul and more.
Rumi Quotes On Love
1. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi
2. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” – Rumi
3. “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.” – Rumi
4. “Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.” – Rumi
5. “Reason is powerless in the expression of love.” – Rumi
6. “Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.” – Rumi
7. “Love is the bridge between you and everything.” – Rumi
8. “The minute I heard my first love story,I started looking for you, not knowinghow blind that was.Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere.They’re in each other all along.” – Rumi
9. “In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no-one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art.” – Rumi
10. “Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.” – Rumi
11. “Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love.” – Rumi
12. “If you find me not within you, you will never find me. For I have been with you, from the beginning of me.” – Rumi
13. “A lover asked his beloved, Do you love yourself more than you love me? Beloved replied, I have died to myself and I live for you. I’ve disappeared from myself and my attributes, I am present only for you. I’ve forgotten all my learnings, but from knowing you I’ve become a scholar. I’ve lost all my strength, but from your power I am able. I love myself…I love you. I love you…I love myself.” – Rumi
14. “Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person to another, not words.” – Rumi
Enjoying reading these quotes by Rumi? You might also like some deep self-love quotes which will help you build confidence and love yourself.
Rumi Quotes On Happiness
15. “Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place.” – Rumi
16. “When you feel a peaceful joy, that’s when you are near truth.” – Rumi
17. “I will find new meaning in every joy and sorrow.” – Rumi
18. “Everyone is so afraid of death, but the real sufis just laugh: nothing tyrannizes their hearts. What strikes the oyster shell does not damage the pearl.” – Rumi
19. “The hurt you embrace becomes joy.” – Rumi
20. “A moment of happiness, you and I sitting on the verandah, apparently two, but one in soul, you and I. We feel the flowing water of life here, you and I, with the garden’s beauty and the birds singing. The stars will be watching us, and we will show them what it is to be a thin crescent moon. You and I unselfed, will be together, indifferent to idle speculation, you and I. The parrots of heaven will be cracking sugar as we laugh together, you and I. In one form upon this earth, and in another form in a timeless sweet land.”– Rumi
21. “It is Love that gives joy to happiness.” – Rumi
22. “Are you jealous of the ocean’s generosity? Why would you refuse to give this joy to anyone? Fish don’t hold the sacred liquid in cups! They swim the huge fluid freedom.” – Rumi
Rumi On Soul
23. “I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.” – Rumi
24. “What is planted in each person’s soul will sprout.” – Rumi
25. “Nothing can help me but that beauty. There was a dawn I remember when my soul heard something from your soul.” – Rumi
26. “Oh soul, you worry too much. You have seen your own strength. You have seen your own beauty. You have seen your golden wings. Why do you worry?” – Rumi
27. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.” – Rumi
28. “Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal. Walk out of your house like a shepherd.” – Rumi
29. “Body is not veiled from soul, neither soul from body, yet no man hath ever seen a soul.” – Rumi
30. “I have put the ear of my soul in the widow of your heart” – Rumi
31. “Look carefully around you and recognize the luminosity of souls. Sit beside those who draw you to that.” – Rumi
32. “My dear soul, flee from the worthless, stay close only to those with a pure heart. Like attracts like. A crow will lead you to the graveyard, a parrot to a lump of sugar.” – Rumi
33. “Nothing can help me but that beauty. There was a dawn I remember when my soul heard something from your soul. I drank water from your spring and felt the current take me” – Rumi
34. “Sit quietly and listen for a voice that will say, “Be more silent.” As that happens, your soul starts to revive.” – Rumi
35. “The soul has been given it’s own ears to hear things the mind does not understand.” – Rumi
Rumi Quotes On Change
36. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” – Rumi
37. “The garden of the world has no limits, except in your mind.” – Rumi
38. “To change, you must face the dragon of your appetites with another dragon: the life-energy of the soul.”– Rumi
39. “Your way begins at the other side.Become the sky.Take an axe to the prison wall.Escape.Walk out like someone suddenly born into color. Do it now.” – Rumi
40. “Life s picture is constantly undergoing change. The spirit beholds a new world every moment.” – Rumi
41. “Whenever they rebuild an old building, they must first of all destroy the old one.” – Rumi
Rumi Quotes On Silence
42. “This silence, this moment, every moment, If it’s genuinely inside you, brings what you need.” – Rumi
43. “Sing to me in the silence of your heart and I will rise up to hear your triumphant song.” – Rumi
44. “Silence is the root of everything. If you spiral into its void a hundred voices will thunder messages you long to hear.” – Quotes by Rumi
45. “This is how it always is when I finish a poem. A great silence overcomes me and I wonder why I ever thought to use language.” – Rumi
46. “Silence is the sea, and speech is like the river. The sea is seeking you: don’t seek the river. Don’t turn your head away from the signs offered by the sea.” – Rumi
47. “Be quiet, the secret cannot be spoken, It is wrapped in silence.” – Rumi
48. “I want that love that is the silence of eternity.” – Rumi
49. “There is a place where words are born of silence.” – Rumi
Rumi Quotes On Nature
50. “Don’t allow your animal nature to rule your reason.” – Rumi
51. “In the gardenI see only your faceFrom trees and blossomsI inhale only your fragrance.” – Rumi
52. “If the foot of the trees were not tied to earth, they would be pursuing me. For I have blossomed so much, I am the envy of the gardens.” – Rumi
53. “Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” – Rumi
54. “Very little grows on jagged rock. Be ground. Be crumbled, so wild flowers will come up where you are.” – Rumi
55. “Always search for your innermost nature in those you are with, as rose oil imbibes from roses.” – Rumi
56. “That moon which the sky never saw even in dreams has risen again.” – Rumi
Powerful Rumi Quotes On God
57. “That which God said to the rose, and caused it to laugh in full-blown beauty, he said to my heart, and made it a hundred times more beautiful.” – Rumi
58. “God has createdyour wings not to be dormantas long as you are aliveyou must try more and moreto use your wings to show you’re alive.” – Rumi
59. “Silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation.” – Rumi
60. “I looked for God. I went to a temple and I didn’t find him there. Then I went to a church and I didn’t find him there. The I went to a mosque and I didn’t find him there. Then finally I looked in my heart and there he was.” – Rumi
61. “If in thirst you drink water from a cup, you see God in it. Those who are not in love with God will see only their own faces in it.” – Rumi
62. “Remember God so much that you are forgotten. Let the caller and the called disappear; be lost in the Call.” – Rumi
63. “What a relief to be empty! Then God can live your life.” – Rumi
64. “By God, when you see your beauty you will be the idol of yourself.” – Rumi
65. “Don’t dismiss the heart, even if it’s filled with sorrow. God’s treasures are buried in broken hearts.” – Rumi
66. “Don’t be sad! Because God sends hope in the most desperate moments. Don’t forget, the heaviest rain comes out of the darkest clouds.” – Rumi
67. “Do good to the people for the sake of God or for the peace of your own soul that you may always see what is pure and save your heart from the darkness of hate.” – Rumi
68. “I searched for God and found only myself. I searched for myself and found only God.” – Rumi
69. “To become spiritual, you must die to self, and come alive in the Lord. Only then will the mysteries of God fall from your lips. To die to self through self-discipline causes suffering but brings you everlasting life.” – Rumi
Rumi Quotes On Women
70. “Woman is a ray of God. She is not that earthly beloved: she is creative, not created.” – Rumi
71. “Woman is a ray of God. She is not that earthly beloved: she is creative, not created.” – Rumi
72. “God is never seen immaterially, and the vision of him in the women is the most perfect of all.” – Rumi
73. “A women is a mystery to guide a wise and open man.” – Rumi
74. “A woman is like a delicate rose, if you treat her with care and respect it will bloom.” – Rumi
Rumi Quotes On Destiny
75. “Though Destiny a hundred times waylays you, in the end, it pitches a tent for you in Heaven. It is God’s loving-kindness to terrify you, in order to lead you to His Kingdom of safety.” – Rumi
76. “Every moment I shape my destiny with a chisel – I am the carpenter of my own soul.” – Rumi
77. “When you find yourself with the Beloved, embracing forone breath, in that moment you will find your true destiny.Alas, don’t spoil this precious moment.Moments like this are very, very rare.” – Rumi
78. “Whatever you lost through fate, be certain that it saved you from pain.” – Rumi
79. “I want a trouble-maker for a lover, Blood spiller, blood drinker, a heart of flame, Who quarrels with the sky and fights with fate, Who burns like fire on the rushing sea.” – Rumi
80. “What you seek is seeking you.” – Rumi, rumi quotes
Rumi On Friendship
81. “Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.” – Rumi
82. “Friend, our closeness is this: anywhere you put your foot, feel me in the firmness under you.” – Rumi
83. “Stay with friends who support you in these. Talk with them about sacred texts, and how you are doing, and how they are doing, and keep your practices together.” – Rumi
84. “Be with those who help your being.” – Rumi
Rumi Quotes On Death
85. “I was dead, then alive. Weeping, then laughing” – Rumi
86. “This place is a dream. Only a sleeper considers it real. Then death comes like dawn, and you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief.” – Rumi
87. “I learned that every mortal will taste death. But only some will taste life.” – Rumi
88. “Before death takes away what you are given, give away what there is to give.” – Rumi
89. “The angel of death arrives,and I spring joyfully up.No one knows what comes over mewhen I and that messenger speak!” – Rumi
90. “Love is from the infinite, and will remain until eternity.The seeker of love escapes the chains of birth and death.Tomorrow, when resurrection comes,The heart that is not in love will fail the test.” – Rumi, inspiring Rumi quotes
91. “What strikes the oyster shell does not damage the pearl The world is a playground, and death is the night.” – Rumi
92. “Die! Die! Die in this love!If you die in this love, Your soul will be renewed.Die! Die! Don’t fear the death of that which is knownIf you die to the temporal, You will become timeless.” – Rumi
Inspiring Rumi Quotes On Life
93. “Why should I be unhappy? Every parcel of my being is in full bloom.” – Rumi
94. “It may be that the satisfaction I need depends on my going away, so that when I’ve gone and come back, I’ll find it at home.” – Rumi
95. “Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.” – Rumi
96. “God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches by means of opposites so that you will have two wings to fly, not one.” – Rumi
97. “If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished.” – Rumi
98. “Can you find another market like this? Where, with your one rose, you can buy hundreds of rose gardens.” – Rumi
99. “There is a morning inside you waiting to burst open into Light.” – Rumi
100. “Keep walking, though there’s no place to get to. Don’t try to see through the distances. That’s not for human beings. Move within, but don’t move the way fear makes you move.” – Rumi
Conclusion: What Can You Learn From These Powerful And Inspiring Rumi Quotes?
Through these Rumi quotes, we can learn that nothing ever dies. Everything in this world just transforms because every single being on this planet is an image of God. The water, sand, soil, air, birds or animals, everything is God’s projection.
Through Rumi, I learned what love is, and how love is important in one’s life to transform oneself. I hope these Rumi quotes inspire you too and make you realise how beautiful this world is.
Thanks for reading.
What Is Rumi’s Most Famous Poem?
Masnavi, a collection of six books often called “The Koran in Persian,” is widely regarded as Rumi’s greatest work of poetry.
Why Is Rumi so Famous?
Famous for his poems and the pedagogical epic Masnav-yi Manav (“Spiritual Couplets”), Rumi was a brilliant Sufi mystic and poet in Persian who had a significant impact on mystical philosophy and literature across the Muslim world.
What Is Rumi’s Famous Quote?
The most famous quote by Rumi is: “Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you.” and “That moon which the sky never saw even in dreams has risen again.”
What Religion Was Rumi?
Despite the fact that he studied the Koran and Islam for the majority of his life, he is rarely referred to as a Muslim.
What Does Rumi Say About Healing?
About healing, Rumi says: “You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.”
What Is Love by Rumi?
An act of love that, like those portrayed in Rumi’s works, “is a symbol of God’s Great Beauty, and hence can convey divine beauty into the mind,” in fact, any form of love deserving to be labeled as love always includes the element of worship.