Last Updated on November 12, 2022
There is a lot of debate about what “spiritual awakening” actually is and what are the signs and stages of spiritual awakening. Some people believe it represents a time when our minds and heart are changed. Others believe it has nothing to do with the outside world.
But whatever you might think of it, spiritual awakening is a significant part of life. It is the time when we realize our true self and our purpose in life.
In a spiritual awakening, you will feel inner peace and joy that you have never felt before. You will feel a sense of power, strength and joy that you have never experienced before. You will also be able to see the beauty in everything around you.
When you experience these things, and once you have a general understanding of what spiritual alertness is, you can look for these symptoms in order to determine if you’re experiencing a spiritual awakening. Before we understand the signs and stages of spiritual awakening let’s first find out what awakening is.
What is Spiritual Awakening?
Spiritual awakening is a state of higher consciousness where one begins to understand the true nature of reality. It can also refer to an individual’s transformation from being unconscious and ignorant into becoming conscious and wise.
They are moments of personal growth and transformation, often occurring in the form of a sudden realization. They can be triggered by an event or experience that is so profound it changes everything about your life as you know it.
These moments usually happen when one’s ego-identity has been shattered to reveal their true self – they become more conscious of who they truly are at a deep level, rather than what society tells them to be.
Spiritual awakening may also come from meditation practice, which leads people towards enlightenment through different stages such as insight (seeing things clearly for the first time) and illumination (a state where all darkness disappears).
One may experience this as their own personal process or they might be guided through it by another person who has experienced such things themselves before them. So now as you must have understood what spiritual awakening is, let’s understand the signs and stages of spiritual awakening.
The Five Stages of Spiritual Awakening
In today’s society, it can be challenging to find that spiritual awakening we all long for. We are so immersed in our daily routines and the routine nature of life becomes the norm. It’s difficult to get out of your head and just focus on something bigger than yourself.
That is where these five stages come in. They start with denial, which is the beginning of understanding that there is something greater than what we know and see in our life.
From there, we move on to anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Whether you’re just starting out your spiritual journey or have been on it for a while now, these five stages will give you a better idea of how to progress as you continue exploring this side of yourself.
These are not necessarily set-in-stone timetables with specific milestones that need to be met–these things happen differently for everyone — but knowing these stages can guide you through the process better by giving you a better understanding of what’s happening and what might happen next.
Stage One Of Spiritual Awakening: The Dark Night Of The Soul
The dark night of the soul during spiritual awakening is a period in which people go through intense emotional and psychological turmoil as they struggle to integrate their newfound spirituality.
The term “dark night” comes from St. John of the Cross, who referred to it as an experience that leaves one feeling overwhelmed by despair and hopelessness because there seems no way out or relief from those feelings even after achieving some level of insight into God’s presence within them.
Also read: What Are Spiritual Benefits Of Silence?
The dark night can be described as a period when “you are not sure if your life makes any sense anymore.”
It typically lasts for several days or weeks as one’s conscious mind becomes aware that their life has been guided by unconscious patterns and habits rather than true intentions. This realization can be quite painful, but it also offers opportunities to develop spiritually through self-reflection.
Stage Two: Denial
Denial is the beginning of understanding that there is something greater than what we know and see in our life.
We don’t want to accept it because we are afraid of change or because we are unaware of our spiritual side. This stage can also be caused by a number of other factors, like lack of sleep, stress, or illness.
But denial doesn’t have to be a bad thing! It actually makes you more open-minded and lets you get rid of all the wrong things that are holding you back. Just remember, denial doesn’t last forever– it will eventually pass.
Stage Three Of Spiritual Awakening: Bargaining
Bargaining is the stage where you do everything in your power to gain something in order to be happy.
If you are just starting out your spiritual journey, this stage is the perfect time for you to begin. There’s no better way to understand what spiritual things are than to start with a bargaining process.
Bargaining is essentially being selfish and trying to get something from the universe in exchange for giving up what you have.
You may be bargaining with a higher power or yourself. Either way, it allows you to understand that there’s more out there than what we see in our current lives and that we can achieve that if we work hard enough.
Stage Four: Depression
Depression is a stage in spiritual awakening where the individual experiences an overwhelming sense of emptiness, meaninglessness, and hopelessness. It can also be described as when one feels there are no options left to them; that their life has run its course, or they have reached the end of it.
Some people may experience depression when they are just starting to accept their spiritual side. It can be hard to accept that you are a spiritual being when your life has been focused on materialism.
It can happen at any time, but it’s most common during the process of transformation and change when one realizes they are not living for themselves anymore.
Stage Five: Acceptance
The last stage of the five is acceptance, which is the final step in realizing that you are a spiritual being. By accepting this simple truth, you can feel confident that you are on a path toward discovering who you truly are.
The most important thing to remember about all five stages of spiritual awakening is that it’s about personal growth. They are not set in stone and you can move between them as you please. For example, if you have a feeling of acceptance and peace, then take the next step by embracing your spirituality instead of denying or bargaining with it.
Another thing to keep in mind is that each stage has its own challenges and tools in order to help us progress through it. Our denial comes from our ego, anger from our emotions, bargaining from our beliefs, depression from our life experiences, and acceptance comes from understanding that there is more than what we know. That being said, like everything else in life, the journey of spiritual discovery takes time.
Signs of a Spiritual Awakening
Signs and symptoms of spiritual awakening vary depending on the individual. Some people may experience a sudden shift in their emotions, while others might feel an increase in compassion or empathy for other individuals.
But the most common ones are as follows:
1. You feel certain that there are certain things in life that you can never understand, and yet you do not give up on trying. This feeling of knowing ‘some things’ that others seem to know nothing about is one of the most powerful effects of this awakening.
2. You become convinced of the idea that everything is an expression of your higher self, and you begin to feel calm and at peace with existence. You appreciate life so much more than before, even when things don’t go the way you would have liked your life to go. This sense of appreciation will grow into a sense of peace and serenity as time goes on.
3. You begin to overcome all forms of negative thought patterns, including anger, jealousy and other associated emotions. You learn that the only way you can have a happy life is by learning to accept things as they are, even if what is happening to you does not make any sense at all.
4. You begin to develop ideas that everything you need or want in life will be given to you if you ask for it in the right way, but the moment you stop thinking about wanting some higher form of material wealth or something you can’t have, your ego begins to quickly retract and you start to realize what is truly important.
You find that the only true wealth that is available to man on this planet is inner peace and contentment, and these are things you can’t actually obtain by buying them with money or through the efforts of others.
5. You begin to see people as they really are – being who they are right now in a moment in time where they are feeling insecure or unhappy because of an experience they had in the past.
You come to understand that all those experiences were created by the ego for the purpose of giving the person a reason for feeling inadequate about themselves, but it’s nothing more than a memory that was created in the mind.
6. You begin to realize what is truly important in life – not things, objects, relationships, or people, but feelings, emotions and vibrations themselves.
7. Love itself is the default state of consciousness as it is the original, purest, and most unadulterated form of energy in the Universe. It has no polarity and can neither be created nor destroyed – it just exists as a coherent field of energy that always emanates from the unity field within all things.
8. You realize that you can have whatever you want, whenever you want it, because of your own personal power to create anything that is real, realizable and desirable to you in any conceivable way whatsoever. This power is the same power that gives us our sense of who we are and where we are going in this world.
9. You no longer look to human beings or anyone else in the world as the ultimate source of your happiness and fulfillment, since they can never truly fulfill this need of yours. You begin to realize that all happiness depends on the degree to which you are able to literally experience this Love vibration inside yourself.
10. You begin to see how reality is created in your mind: even though reality does not exist yet until you perceive it with your mind (which is not a conscious choice you make, but an automatic result of your perception!), you can choose to change the way you perceive reality.
Myths About Spiritual Awakening
Most spiritual awakenings take time to manifest. It’s not something that just happens overnight, it’s a lifelong process that requires daily practice and dedication. The reason for this is that spiritual awakening happens in the soul and it will be instantaneously different from anything else you have ever experienced.
There are countless myths about spiritual awakening, but it’s best to get the facts straight before jumping into this process. So here are 5 myths about a spiritual awakening that need to be debunked:
1) It happens overnight – One of the biggest myths about spiritual awakenings is that they happen overnight. It might seem like something will be different in your life the moment you turn into a new person, but that kind of thinking is unproductive and not true.
2) You won’t be able to see the difference – this is false. Spiritual awakenings can change your life in ways you never thought possible.
3) People who try this will become enlightened – False again. Spiritual awakenings are not a one-time event, but rather a lifelong process that will require daily practice and dedication.
4) You have to be a good person to experience this change – False again as well. Spiritual awakenings are not about getting along with people or making them happy; they are about changing your entire perspective on life and the world.
5) You have to be a certain age in order for it to happen – the idea that you must be 18 years old, or 25 years old before your spirit will awaken and lead you on a path toward enlightenment.
Related: Is Spirituality Boring?
However, these time frames are not set in stone because some people don’t become enlightened until they’re older than 50-60 while others might experience an awakening at any point during their life span.
Steps To Incorporate Spiritual Awakening into Your Life
Spiritual awakening can be found in many ways. Imagine a time when you felt like everything was going wrong for you—like you couldn’t get ahead, or people were treating you unfairly, or your life wasn’t working out. You didn’t feel spiritually alive.
You may have been trying to do something that was beyond your ability and felt frustrated by your struggles.
You might have even made it to a point where you wanted to give up. But that’s not how spiritual awakening works at all! So, in order to implement spiritual awakening in your life, follow these steps.
The first step is to recognize that you are not the body. You have a soul which has been living in this world for some time and now it’s time for your life on earth to come full circle so you can return home. The second step would be an honest assessment of yourself and where you stand in regards, values, morals, etc.
Then there will be an exploration of what kind of spiritual practice might help with developing these things further, as well as how to bring them into reality through everyday actions such as meditation or prayer.
These two practices help the individual open up their mind, body, and soul.
The third step is learning how to live your life according to what feels right for you instead of following society’s standards.
Finally, you can learn how to listen deeply with a more expansive perspective on yourself so that you may gain wisdom from within by understanding what makes you unique as an individual.
In this digital age, there is a growing trend of people seeking spiritual awakening. People are turning to different forms of meditation and prayer in order to better understand their soul’s purpose. Therefore, it is necessary to understand the signs, stages, myths and facts about spiritual awakening.
Understand that spiritual awakening is not something that will happen to you instantly, it depends upon God’s will and your soul’s desire to attain it.
Other Resources to Read About Spiritual Awakening
- A study of awakening experiences in terms of their triggers
- Spontaneous Spiritual Awakenings: Phenomenology
- 8 Stages of Spiritual Awakening and its 17 Symptoms
What does spiritual awakening feel like?
The experience of spiritual awakening is something that can be described as being at one with oneself and everything around oneself. It is the experience of “not-being-separated” from everything. This is what we mean when we say something or someone has “gone beyond” us.
How many stages are there in spirituality?
There are different stages in spirituality. There is the initial stage where one explores their spiritual journey and what they want to achieve through it, there is a middle stage which involves personal growth and development of character traits such as love, compassion, altruism, with the knowledge that some people have achieved higher levels than an ordinary person has attained during life; then comes a final stage where one realizes that this was all part of God’s plan for them.
What should I do after a spiritual awakening?
It is common for people to ask this question, as they are often unsure of what the next step in their life will be. Some may choose to continue on with their spiritual journey by continuing meditation or studying more about spirituality while others might decide that it’s time to take a break and focus on other aspects of life like family, work, school etc.